Monday, October 20, 2008

Starting Out

I guess there's a first for everything, today is my first day to try blogging. I've gotten addicted to reading friend's blogs. I love keeping up and seeing pictures and generally being nosy. I've also been addicted to facebook, but couldn't express any thoughts there, so here I am.
First, about me...
I am 30-something, living in Batesville, IN with my husband and 3 children that are 12, 11, and 7. Our "home" is Cincinnati, but in a recent move from Atlanta, we decided that Batesville was the place to be. It's only 45 minutes from Cincinnati so we can still get home to see friends and family. Batesville is home to my husband's new company - Hill-Rom. We've just celebrated one year in our new home. We like it here, but it's hard sometimes to not "be" from here, since it's a small community full of people who've known each other since birth. We have a great church family at Batesville Vineyard Community Church and we are settling in nicely. For the last 20 days I've been "fasting" watching TV. I've got 20 days to go yet. I wanted to clear my mind of junk, get back into God's Word and get back to exercising and spending time with my family. TV just sucks the life right out of you. I hear recently that for people age 60 and over, if they watch a lot of TV, they actually get Alzheimers faster because their brains aren't getting exercised! No neurons are moving, so the brain, like other parts of our bodies if unused, slows and becomes less useable. I've also been reading a lot lately which is one of my favorite things to do.
So these are the things on my mind lately......
My daughter is turning 13 in a few short months and I really want to make it special for her. I have been reading "Raising a Modern Day Knight" and really learning a lot about the definition of manhood and how to teach that to my two boys as they grow. So what is the definition of true womanhood? I think a study of Proverbs 31 is in need here. I do know that I want to have women she's close to in her life write her letters about the wisdom they have gained on their journey's to becoming women and I want to give her a purity ring and, if I can afford it, take her to a special place, like the beach. It's all still taking shape in my mind.
The other thing on my mind is busyness. We are all so busy. Kid's activities, church, work, community volunteering. There are so many good things to do, and it's very easy to get caught up in doing everything only to realize that there isn't one open night on the calendar! We are trying as a family to keep Wednesdays clear and off limits of activities. It's very tempting to fill that night too though. I look at my weekends and there are back to back activities every weekend. I want to have some friends over just to make S'mores around the fire pit and finding a time to do that that works with my schedule AND there's is quite a feat! Why are we all so busy? Why can't we say no and keep our priorities in line? Shouldn't God and Family come first? What will matter when we leave this earth? The relationships we had invested in, certainly. So am I really investing in the relationships?
So there, that's what's on my mind today!
I hope you stop back once in awhile to read my blog and feel free to talk back to me!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you started a blog!! It will be nice to be able to stay caught up with you and the family. I need to be more consistant with my blog!

Billy Smith said...

Stacey, Writing can definitely be cathartic and I suppose that the blog is way more fun that the old school diary. I find it interesting that blogs, including yours, can chronicle the lives of such different people, yet we all face the same challenges with family, faith, finances, health, etc... Good luck with your blog and congrats on your new job.