Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Random Thoughts

So, I have a couple of friends that have asked me, via Facebook, when I'm going to Blog again. So this is for you! I hesitate to blog, because I'm not sure I have anything worth saying. At least nothing especially profound. Or I'm afraid that I'll be a bit too open and say more than I should.
Oh, well -here goes.
I have had many things on my mind, so I'll try to stick with some topics.
Let's see....
Parenting:
My older two are in middle school, I've mentioned that before I'm sure. Kids can be so mean. I'm truly mystified at just how mean. I mean REALLY mean. Vicious, seek you out to hurt you, mean. It takes a lot of effort for me and my hubby to counteract all the garbage our kids are met with on a daily basis. I'm fighting for their self-esteem ALL the time. It's really draining. On the bright side though - they are learning some hard lessons about being IN the world, not OF the world. They are beginning to see the reality of God's ways not being the world's ways. I'm proud of them really. They have good head's on their shoulders and although it's tough - they are going to be great adults some day.
Politics:
Oooo, there's a hot topic. I confess I am not very educated on politics. But I will say that I do not agree with our current president and the choices he is making. He seems to be agressively seeking to undo all that Bush did, more out of thumbing his nose at Conservatives and showing his powerful "changes" that he promised on the campaign trail than out of what is truly best for our country. I don't like him, I don't trust him. But I will pray for him and respect him.
Christianity:
In my personal walk lately, I am finding that prayer is taking center stage. My church is going through a special series that challenges our assumptions about Jesus and Christianity. I'm enjoying the experience. I wish I was better at apologetics. I wish I could explain to the sceptics in my life the validity of scripture, the reality of a REAL God who is intimately involved in my life, and help them to see that a rational human being CAN believe in Jesus. I'm overwhelmed, again, at the grace God bestows on us.
Work:
I really enjoy my job. I plan meetings all day. I love to plan. I'm busy, the day goes fast. Some of the people I'm planning meetings for have told me how much they appreciate me and that makes my day. I like and respect the people I work with too. We laugh and work well as a team. I'm learning more and more every day.
Extra Curriculars:
I'm heavily involved in CubScouts and though I like it, it's just too much. I've told the committee that I am stepping down as Committee Chair at the end of the year and I'll admit it's a hard thing to do. I did however agree to be on the board of the HOA for our neighborhood and plan a block party. But it's a one time event and not much of a time commitment. I'd really like to go back to school and work on my Masters. I'd like a Masters in Hospitality Management. I can only see myself taking one class at a time, but that's ok. I'm not in a huge hurry. Then there's church - teaching Sunday School twice a month, serving communion, prayer group, etc. I really am busy. I don't like not being busy, but I'm trying to find a balance. Always searching for the perfect balance.
So - that's a few things on my mind. At least that I'm willing to share for now!
God Bless!

2 comments:

Khakismum said...

Sorry the kiddos are having such a rough time. I am reminded everyday how lucky I am to be able to homeschool. I cannot imagine sending K. into the "lion's den" that is our PS system. I hear so many disheartening stories from friends in PS (especially the high school) that I really want to just hold Kathryn tighter...some scary stuff out there.

The work sounds fun! Do you get to enjoy any of the events you plan?

Keep writing it's a good outlet. (Plus I like hearing what's going on!) Make each day a different topic. It helps your blogging to have a plan. For example, take today's headings and turn each one into a a different days topic to pontificate on. Or join a meme thread...I'm doing two right now - Foto Friday and a given homeschool-centric topic to write on. Just a thought...

Julie Beddoes said...

I feel your pain as a mother when it comes to middle school. I have one especially that has had such a hard time. I keep reminding him that these years are probably the worst and that things can and do get better. It is so much harder for them sometimes to be that one kids who is trying to be IN and not OF the world, as you said.